The Green House Music Residency
Our new music development project - The Green House - ran from October 30th to November 4th 2023 and saw a long list of applicants whittled down to 3 artists who were awarded a week long residency with us.
Taking place at the Green Dragon Studios, Stockton, the residency gave all three artists the opportunity for free access to professional rehearsal and recording facilities, advice from industry experts and the opportunity to perform a fully recorded live set at The Georgian Theatre, Stockton.
During that time they developed their work and came away with tangible assets that can now be used for promotion and music releases.
The residency was run in association with The Glasshouse International Centre for Music (formerly Sage Gateshead) and took inspiration from their successful Summer Studio programme.
The Green House helps us to address issues raised at our music development events, such as our annual On Point music conference and their one-to-one sessions, and aims to level the playing field by offering facilities that artists - especially during the cost of living crisis - may not have the resources to invest in.
It also gives artists the time and space out of their busy lives to develop their craft as musicians and performers, as well as providing access to expert knowledge that will help demystify what, at times, can be a confusing industry, especially to those early in their careers.
To finish the week, on Saturday 4th November, all three of the successful artists performed a show at The Georgian Theatre in Stockton, a 300-capacity, fully-accessible music venue with state-of-the-art PA and lighting rig. This offered the artists a platform to showcase music they had been working on throughout the week, provide gig experience in terms of setting up and performing a show to a live audience, as well as allowing them to celebrate their work and accomplishments throughout the residency.
The Green House residency offered three artists the following opportunities…
- Access to rehearsal space to practice, write music and work on live setup.
- Access to a professional recording studio for one day to record music, which will be mixed by our in-house engineer after the week has finished.
- Workshops with music industry professionals offering expert advice, followed by a post-residency 1-to-1 video call with an industry expert on any areas they feel need developing.
- Photoshoot from a local photographer.
- Live performance on the evening of Saturday 4th November with full audio and visual recording of the performance.
- Ongoing music industry advice and mentoring, after the week has ended.